Example message frames from housing trust fund campaigns
Housing Arkansas: Lead messages developed with focus group and poll (2011)
- Every child deserves a safe place to call home
- A place to call home offers seniors* an opportunity to live and grow with independence and dignity
- Our veterans should have access to safe, affordable housing
- Hardworking Arkansans should be able to afford a home and still have enough money for groceries and child care* message stays equally as strong if your replace seniors with person with a specific disability
Washington Low Income Housing Alliance: Lead messages developed with focus groups (2008)
- Everyone should have the opportunity to live in a safe, healthy, affordable home;
- It should be possible for working people to afford housing and still have enough money for the basics like groceries and child care;
- Children deserve the opportunity to succeed in school and life, which all begins with their family being able to afford a decent place to live,
- It’s better for our communities, the environment, and families if people can afford to live close to where they work.
North Carolina Housing Coalition: Lead messages developed with focus groups (2008)
- The people who most urgently need affordable housing are working families with children, young adults just entering the labor market, senior citizens and people with disabilities.
- Too many hard-working North Carolina families are not able to find an affordable place to live.
- North Carolina’s children deserve a safe, stable home and community in which to grow up.
- Communities that offer more affordable housing options are stronger economically.
Housing California: Lead messages developed with poll (2008)
- Housing market is broken
- California needs to stabilize its housing market
- Lack of housing choice effects people at all income levels
- A place to call home gives kids opportunity to succeed,
- A place to call home help vulnerable populations,
- Government has a role to address the broken housing market
Click here to go to next page–messages for a specific audience
Click here to return to messages that work